With thanks to Eoin Smith, Senior Account Executive, Tricker PR.
Stalwart of the north east tourism industry Roger Goodyear was honoured on Friday (November 25) by his peers at the 2016 Aberdeen City and Shire Tourism Awards (ACSTA).
Mr Goodyear joined 15 other winners, who lifted their trophies at the ceremony held at Ardoe House Hotel and Spa.
Mr Goodyear, who last year was made an MBE for his services to tourism in Banffshire, received a Lifetime Achievement Award at the gathering which celebrated Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire’s finest tourism achievements.
Closely linked with the tourism industry for several years, Mr Goodyear – who is Vice-Lord Lieutenant of Banffshire – was named Regional Ambassador of the Year by ACSTA in its inaugural year in 2013. His work as chairman of the Scottish Traditional Boat Festival in Portsoy and involvement in local tourism initiatives has led him to become a well-liked and much-respected member of the north east tourism industry.
Amongst the other winners were Deeside Activity Park, which held onto its title of Best Outdoor/Adventure Experience for the second year running, Glen Tanar Estate’s Claire Bruce who was named Regional Ambassador, and Gemma Cruickshank of VisitAberdeenshire who was crowned Regional Rising Star. Drum Castle also scooped two awards – the Innovation in Tourism award, and the Working Together for Tourism award in association with Aberdeen Art Gallery.
ACSTA chairman Peter Sangster says,
“2016 has been a fantastic year for tourism in Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire, and it has been brilliant to be able to celebrate such a diverse range of providers – from global brands to family-run outfits, there is a place for all in the north east tourism industry. I am proud that the entire spectrum of tourism is represented in this year’s winners.
“Every year it becomes more difficult to choose the winners in each category. So many tourism professionals in the region are finding new and innovative ways in which to provide world-class service to their customers – it’s very inspiring. It really is an exciting time to be part of the tourism industry in Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire.”
The winners will now go on to represent Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire at the national Scottish Thistle Awards in 2017, against regional winners from across Scotland.
Jo Robinson, regional director at VisitScotland, adds,
“A huge congratulations to all of the winners at the Aberdeen City and Shire Tourism Awards. I wish them the best of luck as they move forward to represent the region in the Scottish Thistle Awards National Final next year.
“Tourism is the driving force for providing the jobs of today and tomorrow and these awards recognise the tireless effort that goes into creating a memorable experience for visitors to the region.”
The winners of the 2016 Aberdeen City and Shire Tourism Awards are:
- Lifetime Achievement Award – Roger Goodyear
- Most Hospitable Hotel sponsored by Fishers Services Ltd – Holiday Inn Aberdeen West
- Most Hospitable B&B/Guest House sponsored by Aberdeen City and Shire Hotels Association – Callater Lodge
- Best Accommodation Provider sponsored by Northlink Ferries – Mill of Nethermill Holidays
- Friendliest Pub/Bar sponsored by Brewdog – The Grill
- Best Outdoor/Adventure Experience sponsored by Aberdeenshire Council – Deeside Activity Park
- Best Visitor Attraction sponsored by The Chester Hotel – Royal Lochnagar Distillery
- Working Together for Tourism sponsored by The Marcliffe Hotel & Spa – Aberdeen Art Gallery and NTS at Drum Castle
- Innovation in Tourism sponsored by Marriott Hotels – NTS Drum Castle, Gardens and Estate
- Tourism and Hospitality Hero sponsored by VisitAberdeenshire – Jean Ryrie, Jurys Inn
- Regional Rising Star sponsored by Ardoe House Hotel and Spa – Gemma Cruickshank, VisitAberdeenshire
- Regional Ambassador sponsored by Aberdeen International Airport – Claire Bruce, Glen Tanar Estate
- Best Cultural Event or Festival sponsored by Aberdeen Exhibition and Conference Centre – Celebrate Aberdeen
- Best Sporting Event sponsored by Active Aberdeen Partnership – Braemar Gathering
- Best Informal Eating Experience sponsored by Jury’s Inn – No. 10 Bar & Restaurant
- Best Restaurant Experience sponsored by RBS Leisure – Eat on the Green
For further information on the Aberdeen City and Shire Tourism Awards, please visit www.acsta.co.uk
- Comments enabled – see comments box below. Note, all comments will be moderated.