Jan 182015

The Dons almost undid all the donkey work they’d done to earn a bumper Pittodrie crowd but the perpetual bottlers salvaged a point, opines Voice reporter Andrew Watson.

pittodrieThey went hell for leather in the opening stages and it was beginning to look, with a seemingly dodgy keeper in Scott Bain, an easy three points for the home side.

His is wayward kicking rarely ended
in anything but a throw for the men in

Anyway, seven minutes into the game, David Goodwillie found the roof of the net via a low drive from the foot of Adam Rooney.

Rooney had instigated a similar move earlier in match, with no one on the end of it, but was second time round rewarded for his endeavour.

1-0 Aberdeen!

The Reds should’ve really taken the game by the scruff of the neck by this point, but couldn’t find the elusive minimal two goal lead.

The Dens Park men then equalised, much against the run of play.

1-1 (Gary Irvine) after 38 minutes.

The punishment didn’t end there, though. A slick back heel set up another drive past keeper Scott Brown.

1-2 (Greg Stewart) only two minutes later. Bedlam in the away end, with jubilant Dark Blues hopping the hoarding but the stewards contained the situation.

Only three minutes into the second half Dundee went two goals ahead due to some poor defensive work from Ashton Taylor, and really took the biscuit with a spectacular volley from reasonable distance.

1-3 (Gary Harkins).

15 minutes later Willo Flood and Cammy Smith came on for Taylor and Peter Pawlett.

This period of the game was frustrating to watch. Aberdeen poured forward with little end product, whether lobbing the ball with no luck or passing the ball aimlessly from side to side, back and never forward.

Lawrence Shankland came on for Rooney on the 82 minute mark. Eventually the tide turned and some productivity came about from their desperate efforts.

Five minutes later Jonny Hayes slotted away a penalty kick, resulting from a foul upon Shankland.

2-3 Aberdeen!

Ryan Jack then miraculously pounced on a Shay Logan ball to rescue the Dandies from demolition Dundee.

3-3 Aberdeen on the death!

It was disappointing to lose the clean sheet record, but at least they still had the winning mentality when the chips were down. The heads looked down, too, but the twelfth man raised their spirits.

Final score:  3-3.