Nov 092014

It was promising to be a fiery fixture and didn’t disappoint, unless you were a Dons fan, bemoans Voice’s Andrew Watson.

merkalndpic2The controversy kicked off early, prior to the game, with numerous Celtic fans booing during the one minute’s silence for Remembrance Sunday.

Given their Irish heritage, one could forgive the Hoops for not bearing a poppy on their strip today, but to go so far as to sabotage a commemoration to ordinary men and women in conflict was just beyond the pale.

In turn the Red Army were quick to back their man, Shaleum Logan.  This was after weeks of jousting in the press with Celtic’s Aleksandar Tonev, who’d apparently racially abused the defender in the teams’ last outing.

Ex-Celt Barry Robson came on the pitch at the 10 minute mark, with Willo Flood coming off.  It’s testament to the intensity and pace of the game that the industrious Flood had to be subbed so early on.

An Andrew Considine deflection then found Adam Rooney, who bundled the ball across the line. Just.

1-0 Aberdeen after 27 minutes!

Eleven minutes later the Hoops dented the Dons hopes of a positive result.

Mark Reynolds and keeper Scott Brown were caught out by an Anthony Stokes ball which his teammate really shouldn’t have been able to latch onto. But did.

1-1 (Stefan Johansen).

Aberdeen really should’ve been ahead by this point, but instead squandered numerous chances to stamp their authority upon the game.

A power struggle of sorts ensued for the remaining duration of the game, with David Goodwillie coming on for Rooney after 67 minutes.

Eighteen minutes later Jeffrey Monakana came on, with Peter Pawlett coming off.

Roundabout this time Celtic’s skipper, Scott Brown, was shown his second yellow, offering a glimmer of hope for the Dons.

The ten-man Parkhead side didn’t succumb, though.

Johansen turned from receiver to provider with a controversial corner.

It was the first of two, and according to the eyes of many, the first one should’ve been a goal kick as keeper Brown made no contact with the ball as he dived to cover his line.

Anyway, the second corner, from the foot of Johansen, found his man at the back post.

1-2 (van Dijk) after 90 minutes.

Aberdeen had gilt edged chances to equalise and were very frustrating to watch, here onward.

To top it off, Logan was sent off in the tunnel after the game for questioning a certain decision by the linesman, apparently by using some colourful language, too.

Final score:  1-2.